Custom Search

Saturday, December 22, 2007

Columbo - "Prescription Murder"

Columbo: Excuse me, sorry to bother you...I was just wonderin' if you have a light for my cigar?

WP: Who are you and how did you get in here?

Columbo: Sorry that I startled you. I'm Lieutenant Columbo of the Los Angeles Police. I'm investigating a murder.

WP: A murder? Well, surely you don't think I had anything to do with all those corpses buried in my back yard?!

Columbo: You have a back yard? Well, I must say, my wife and I live in a dingy little apartment with only a balcony. We always wanted a place with a yard and--

WP: Lieutenant, I'm very busy at the moment. Could you please get to the point!

Columbo: Sure, sure. I'm just here for your review along with the other cast members. Now how about that light? (williampinn lights Columbo's cigar with a Bic lighter that will be reviewed separately.)

WP: OK, so you are here for my review. Tell me about this murder you are investigating.

Dr. Flemming: I'll tell you what you want to know. Permit me to introduce myself. My name is Dr. Ray Flemming. The Lieutenant here has some crazy wild-eyed notion that I killed my rich wife who threatened to divorce me, ruin my psychiatry practice, and cut me out of her rich family's circle of influence.

Surely, none of what I just told you is hardly a motive for murdering my wife Carol. When she was alive, she and I had a simple misunderstanding. She believed that I was having an affair with my mistress Joan Hudson. Have you ever heard of anything so preposterous?

WP: Was that you digging in my backyard last night?

Joan: Oh surely your joking! Ray would never hurt a fly. He and I are going to be together from now on. I'll have him all to myself.

Columbo: I beg your pardon, Miss...eh...

Joan: Hudson.

Columbo: Yes, Miss Hudson, I was just wondering if you and Dr. Flemming know each other.

Joan: Well...yes...he's my...my psychiatrist. I'm his patient.

Columbo: I see. Thanks for clearing that up for me. Oh...say...ah...just one more thing, Ms Hudson.

Joan: Yes?

Columbo: Are you and Dr. Flemming here having some sort of affair?

Dr. Flemming: Don't tell him anything, Joan, not until we have destroyed all the evidence.

Joan: (To Ray.) Yes, of course, darling. (To Columbo.) No Lieutenant! We're not having an affair!

Columbo: Thanks for clearing that up. I'll be in touch.

WP: Well, AC reader, what you have just witnessed is a sample of what you can expect to see and hear when you watch Prescription: Murder the 1968 pilot episode of the Columbo television series.

Peter Falk plays the role of Lieutenant Columbo. Columbo plays dumb to disarm his murder suspects. He is actually a genius on the same level as Sherlock Holmes. Peter Falk clearly defined the role with his mangy overcoat, bad posture, and gesticulations with cigar in hand.

Gene Barry smoothly plays the overconfident and arrogant Dr. Ray Flemming.

Nina Foch does a believable job playing the incensed Mrs. Flemming.

Katherine Justice shows off her fine acting talent by playing the terribly naive mistress of Dr. Flemming.

Another notable performance came from William Windom who expertly played Dr. Flemming's best friend Burt Gordon.

The plot is not the typical who-done-it mystery, but rather a how-is-Columbo-going-to-catch-this-guy mystery. All the scenes were masterfully executed. I found myself immersed in Columbo's jurisdiction and totally hooked by the suspense of the story.

This is an exceptional pilot that kicked off a series that is now considered a classic-I rate it five cigars..er...stars.

Columbo: Say...sorry to bother you again-

WP: What is it now, Lieutenant?!

Columbo: The wife and I are looking for a new place with a yard. I was just wonderin' if you know of any place that is available in your neighborhood.

WP: I have a question for you, Columbo! For years I have watched you jerk suspects around with your nonchalant banter. You mention your wife in so many episodes, but we never see her. We see your basset hound but never your wife-

Columbo: What are you driving at?

WP: You murdered your wife! Am I right?

Columbo: You finally found me out. I don't know what to say.

WP: Officers, take the Lieutenant into custody...

Written by Richard Levinson, William Link
Directed and produced by Richard Irving
Runtime: 99 mins.
Air date: 2/20/68


Click here for drama, comedy and adventure!


No comments:

 
Click here for drama, comedy and adventure!