Custom Search

Saturday, December 22, 2007

Ben Hur--A Film Review




Judah Ben-Hur

Several fathoms beneath the Mediterranean sea there lies the ruins of a sunken Roman ship, and the rusted chains and shackles that restrain skeletons (formally galley slaves). One shackle in particular restrains no skeleton. That shackle belonged to me, Judah Ben-Hur (Charleton Heston).

I was a galley slave aboard that ship, and was kept alive to serve it by rowing the oars. As I rowed the oars, I could see into the world of the writer of this review as plainly as he could see into mine. I noted his countenance as he watched my trials and tribulations.

He was fascinated by what he saw, yet sympathetic-and definitely entertained.

Quintus Arrius

I, Quintus Arrius (Jack Hawkins) was the commander of the sunken ship and a Counsel of Rome. I released Judah from his chains so that he might serve me as gladiator or charioteer in the great Roman Circus. When the ship was attacked, he saved my life. I later made him my adopted son.

I too could see into the world of the writer of this review. I must say he found my part in the film dynamic and interesting.

Esther

I was a house servant of Judah named Esther (Haya Harareet). I loved Judah and he I, but we could not marry because I was promised to another man. Judah gave me my freedom. I will always be grateful for that. And, maybe someday we will be together.

I saw into the eyes of the man writing this review. I could see he felt my pain, my heartache and my passion as he watched my world.

Messala

Judah and I were friends since childhood. I am Messala (Stephen Boyd) a Roman tribune. When I was stationed in Judea, I was once again united with my dear old friend, Judah. However, he refused to cooperate when I asked him to inform on his people who spoke out against Rome.

At the first opportunity, I had his mother and sister imprisoned and sent him to rot as a slave in the galleys. The writer of this review thought I was a scoundrel for doing this, but he should try to understand my position. Judah was my friend but I cannot let that fact interfere with my judgment. I must put Rome above all else-that is my duty.

Sheik Ilderim

Sheik Ilderim (Hugh Griffith) is how you may address me. I had the finest chariot horses. I knew if I could find the right charioteer, I might finally beat the reigning Circus champion Messala. Judah Ben-Hur was that charioteer-and what a chariot race it was! Two old friends who became enemies battling it out in the Circus arena.

When I looked through the lens leading to the outside world, I could see this reviewer's eyes bug out and his jaw drop as he watched the race. I think he found the action and violence in the race to be remarkable and exciting!

Miriam and Tirzah

Judah's mother, Miriam (Martha Scott) and I his sister Tirzah (Kathy O'Donnell) were imprisoned when a tile fell from our roof and hit the Roman Governor as his procession passed the street below. Messala used this mere accident as an excuse to not only imprison us, but to send Judah away from us. Will we ever be together again as a family?

We could see that the writer of this review felt our pain and hope as he helplessly watched the plot of our lives unfold. Perhaps the other man they call the "Christ" will save us all.

William Pinn

Needless to say, this film is a classic that won 11 academy awards. I give the cast, the costumes, the sets, the locations, the action, the music, etc., etc. five "Hail Jupitors!"

As I watched the characters in this film, they seemed so alive and so real that I sometimes felt they were looking right back at me. Imagine that.

Click here for drama, comedy and adventure!


No comments:

 
Click here for drama, comedy and adventure!